Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Whatcha paying for milk?

Milk is insanely expensive in Maine right now.

My favorite grocery store had milk the other day for $4.89 a gallon for 1% milk. This wasn't even the pricey organic milk we normally drink (that's $3.49 a 1/2 gallon right now) - or even branded milk.

The other grocery in town had it for $4.99 a gallon.

I'm thinking my dreams of owning a dairy cow one day might not just be a dream - but a necessity. We go through 2-3 gallons a milk a week. Sometimes 4. That means that $60 of my monthly shopping bill is just milk.

An article in the local paper said that right now the dairy farmers are making $1.99 on a gallon of milk. so $2 a gallon is going right out of my pocket into the grocery stores'. Nice.

I'm glad I'm a water drinker.

1 comment:

Timestep said...

Actually, some is going to the truck drivers too - and the oil companies!!