Sunday, August 19, 2007

Oh what a night...

We had a great day yesterday and finished it off with a spectacular night.

We spent the day lazing around the house, cleaning and doing laundry. The girls were busy outside getting sap all over their clothes playing on the tree swing and running around merrily.

Then we went and looked at a prospective house. It was nice but I like our planned arrangements a little better.

Then we loaded into the van and headed to Freeport. We found a great parking spot right away and loaded the sleeping bag, folding chairs and our big bag into the stroller and headed over to Bean. The place was packed and so we walked around a bit finding a place for us and the stroller. After securing a spot we dropped off the blanket and chairs and went school shopping.

Julia picked out her backpack (she chose purple instead of blue) and we found her a pair of adventure Maryjanes. We bought a pair of flannel pants for Em and then went and joined Dan back at our seats.

I was so excited to find that Brandi Carlile was the opening act. She is an amazing vocalist and songwriter. I'm a big fan of her song "The Story." Check it out if you have a chance.

Then it was time. THEY (the Indigo Girls) came on stage. I have seen them 3 times before and I know they always put on a great show. They sang a bunch of new songs, and my favorite old ones. Julia and Anna made a new friend (and I had a great time with her mom) and we all danced and bopped and sang along. In this kind of outdoor venue we were able to walk around and get really close to the stage. It was great. They brought Brandi Carlile and Melissa Ferrick on stage for Closer to Fine. They closed with Galilieo. Couldn't have been better since I LOVE that song. Anna and I were dancing and singing along.

So I leave you with Galileo...

galileo's head was on the block
the crime was looking up the truth
as the bombshells of my daily fears explode
i try to trace them to my youth
then you had to bring up reincarnation
over a couple of beers the other night
now i'm serving time for mistakes made by another
in another lifetime

how long till my soul gets it right
can any human being ever reach that kind of light
i call on the resting soul of galileo
king of night vision
king of insight

i think about my fear of motion
which i never could explain
some other fool across the ocean years ago
must have crashed his little airplane

how long till my soul gets it right
can any human being ever reach that kind of light
i call on the resting soul of galileo
king of night vision
king of insight

i'm not making a joke
you know me i take everything so seriously
if we wait for the time till all souls get it right
then at least i know there'll be no nuclear annihilation in my lifetime
I'm still not right

i offer thanks to those before me
that's all i've got to say
maybe you squandered big bucks in your lifetime
now I've got to pay

but then again it feels like some sort of inspiration
to let the next life off the hook or
she'll say look what i had to overcome from my last life
i think i'll write a book

how long till my soul gets it right
can any human being ever reach that kind of light
i call on the resting sould of galileo
king of night vision
king of insight
how long, how long, how long

2 comments:

laurie said...

Wow. It does sound like a spectacular evening.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a fun time was had by all!