Thursday, September 14, 2006

I do...

We went to a wedding today. It amazed me that for people new to this place, we knew more than half of the people there. The granddaughter of people that own the cabins we go to every summer on the lake was getting married. My family has known them for over 50 years. I can’t think of anyone else I know that I could go to a wedding for and know as many people as I did today. It really cemented a concept extended family for me. It was great seeing everyone. Aunts, uncles, cousins, great aunts and uncles, grandparents, friends and even neighbors.

I can’t think of anyone that I have met in the last 10 years that I know like the people I knew when I was younger. I may know ‘of” my friends family and other friends, but I certainly don’t know them. In fact almost of all of my friends live far away from their families. It seemed that growing up you met all of your friends family. It’s weird how that changes.

The wedding was beautiful. It rained, which I know put a huge damper on the brides dream of an outdoor ceremony on the lake. The rain slowed near sunset and we ran out to the beach while they exchanged their vows. A rainbow peeked out of the trees. There were tears of love and joy, and laughs of happiness, everything a good wedding should have.

The reception was wonderful. Held under a large white tent there were red rose petals on each table. The décor had an Far East feeling with red and white Chinese take out boxes holding chocolates, and long platters with polished stones and votives on them. There was tapping on glasses (actually I think they tapped the votives) for the bride and groom to kiss, there was food, and speeches, and more kissing, and cake, and dancing. All things a good reception should have.

Once the rain stopped people filtered out of the tent and mingled under the trees lit by tiny white lights. It was a beautiful night.

The girls were hilarious dancing. Julia was dancing her little heart out while Anna stole the show with her “booty shaking” brand of dancing. Man does she have rhythm. She held her own with 20 somethings dancing. It was hilarious watching her get down. She was particularly funny while dancing to “Hips don’t lie” by Shakira. Oh man. That girl can wiggle her hips. We had to drag them off to the car to leave, both girls tired. I’m so glad we were able to be a part of the beginning of their life together.

Best wishes to you both Danielle and Reid! May you have a lifetime of happiness.

No comments: