Sunday, September 24, 2006

Yummmy!

This weekend was brisk and rainy, but when the rain broke it was sunny and nice. We are celebrating the beginning of Fall here. Saturday night was game night and we made homemade pizzas. Our local grocery has balls of pizza dough for sale in the deli area so we bought some wheat dough. The girls made cheese and ham pizzas and Dan and I made a hawaiian (ham, pineapple, red onion) and then a harvest pizza - which was one of the best pizzas I've had in a LONG LONG time. I sauteed some chopped zuchinni and squash with some red onion. then put them on the pizza. It was soooo good. I think we might do it again this weekend while the Fall veggies are so inexpensive.

Game night went great - we played Dora Memory with Anna and then put together some puzzles. Then Dan, Anna and Em watched Curious George while Julia and I played game after game after game of Guess Who. I love that game. Julia is quite good at it. Once she learned the difference between a mustache and a beard she was even better!! Bingo, tiddlywinks and tic tac toe were also on the agenda but were moved to this afternoon when bedtime came too soon last night. It was a great way to spend a rainy afternoon. I think we're going to have a nice winter... bring on the board games!

Today we baked the most amazing cookies. I can not even begin to tell you how soft, moist and tasty these things are. They have replaced my other go to cookie - although the cherry chip cookies can't be beat for ease! My next door neighbor in Arizona makes these awesome Pumpkin Chocolate Chip cookies and she relinquished her recipe only after we moved! We made them today and they turned out perfectly. We took some over to the next door neighbor when we returned his sock (he gave me a sock full of ice when I fell down the stairs a couple of weeks ago - because I had to get in the car and drive to get Julia right after and he was worried about the swelling). The rest we're keeping. They are just moist and full of pumpkiny chocolately goodness.

Tonight we're having more food in celebration of Autumn's arrival. We're having a roast chicken with carrots, potatoes and leeks, stuffed with apples to help keep it moist. I use white wine in the bottom for flavor (3 Blind Moose!) and season with garlic powder, S&P, and nutmeg. DELICIOUS! We'll have canteloupe for dessert. UPDATE: It was everything I had hoped it would be. I love leeks.

No comments: