Friday, April 11, 2008

We are doing some mighty fine parenting up in here.

Here is an actual conversation Julia had with her Dad tonight.

"Hey Dad, guess where I went today?"

"Uh, I don't know, where?"

"To see horses"

"ohh, that's nice honey" Dan said, kind of dismissing her story as a joke.

"It was so much fun. The first horse we bet on won, and the rest were clunkers."

Now, THAT turned his head around and she had his full attention.

"What? You went where?"

"I went with Miss Sarah to see the horses."

Now he's walking into the kitchen to look at my reaction to judge if she's telling the truth. I nodded.

Dan's response, "So, instead of going to school today, you went to the racetrack and bet on horses?"

My response, "Well, when you put it that way, it sounds bad."

Let's just say he wasn't smiling.


Ok... so the whole story... Julia did not go to school for the 2nd day in a row because her tonsils are swollen and sore and her glands are ginormous (and yes, that's my medical opinion). I almost sent her today, but she had a rough night, so I let her stay home and rest. OK, no big deal.

She did rest for most of the day, and was still feeling OK but had the big tonsils and glands. I called her doctor and she said to give it the weekend and let her rest and if she was still swollen, or if turns red or if the white splotchy splotchies show up... call Monday to come in.

Then about 4pm Julia's friend came to the door with his mom. She invited Julia to see the horses since it was a special horse day or something or another. Without thinking, I said sure! And off my child went. It wasn't until she was gone that I remembered that she had stayed home from school and I was breaking my own stay home from school rule.

Ok, it's not such a big deal. They were there for 15 minutes to see the horses. Then she came back home and went up to bed for a while.

I love a good story.

No comments: