Saturday, June 03, 2006

giving up

I'm always giving up too damn early.

When Dan mentioned to his MBA group (3 other people) that he wasn't going... they all jumped on him as to why. Dan is a little less tacky than (Ok - a lot!!) I am - and just mentioned it was a funding issue but it was ok. Within seconds they arranged the money for him. One volunteered Dan his credit card to use, one offered to Western Union him money on Monday and his friend that is here in town offered to have him swing by on his way to the airport to pick it up. Can you believe it? How awesome is that? Dan (also in addition to not being tacky - is a proud kind of guy) so he couldn't accept it as a gift. He has written her a post dated check and is giving her (mine - but I support the donation to this worthy cause) a $50 Spa Finder gift certificate as a Thank you.

I can't put into words all I've learned in the past 5 months - but I'm going to do my damndest to try.

When my baby shower that my good friend Joanna so generously hosted for me fell through - a group of my friends from out of town threw me a cyber shower with a generous gift certificate. Then another time things were tough, the same friends rounded up donations to pay for a couple of bills. It's hard for me to admit this, especially in such a public forum - as accepting charity is a hard thing on the pride. But I want to celebrate them. Our friends stood by us through the darkest times of the past 6 months.

Even now when with our decision to move, our friends have supported us in every way imaginable. With motivation, support, research, advice and reassurance. Just like always.

As part of the depression I suffer from, I often feel lonely in this world. These people out there constantly force their way into my head and shake me from those feelings. They send me cards, emails and love.

We are so blessed to be surrounded by people who love us enough to offer of themselves. I like to believe that in our more fortunate times we have been generous to those around us and those in need, and that perhaps our friends have been given to us as some sort of cosmic reward.

Dan's friends believe in him. They believe in him so much they are financially supporting him. That is amazing. They want him to go to and follow his dreams. They know he's going to knock their socks off.

WOW

2 comments:

chumly said...

Thank you for reminding people how important friends could be. I am going thru a difficult time myself and was astounded by the kindness and support of my friends. We are truely blessed with these friends. I understand a bit what Dan is going thru. I am usually the giver not the reciever and it was hard for me too. What I learned was that the help was not a gift of charity, but it was an honest gift of love.

Timestep said...

Het - I wonder, my mom had a lightbulb moment one day when she realized her inability to feel comfortable accepting expensive presents (I'm talking more than $20) was the way presents were given to her by her parents.

I know you have issues, could your struggle at accepting help stem from the relationship with your parents.

I'm grateful that there are people out there who believe in you all so much that they are pushing you and Dan to get where you want.

I hope that this belief extends into sucess.

Hey, are you playing Sunday Six? We did.

Kirsten