Tuesday, May 30, 2006

It's a conspiracy...

Em seems to be having a bit of a reflux relapse. I'm pretty sure it's from a two day stretch where she didn't get a full dose of her meds. So - last night she was sleeping in 15-20 minute increments. By 2am I was exhausted and run down from the constant comfort/get her to sleep/settle down/wake up cycle. Then it got worse. Anna woke up. So in she comes.

I have no idea what has gotten her off her sleep cycle. She has gone from being a fairly reliable sleeper to being completely umpredictable. Some nights she's asleep by 10p and not up until 9am. Other nights we're still fighting with her to stay in her crib until midnight and she's up at 5am. My least favorite would be what happened last night... go to sleep by 10p - and then wake up crying at about 2am - and STAY UP being ornery until 5-6am! Then of course she's exhausted and wants to sleep until noon.

(Now I know - without a doubt that she is my child. Given my choice - I'd like to stay up until 3-5am and then sleep until noon. :) )

Now I have to battle to keep Anna quiet so that she doesn't wake up Em who is in super light sleeper mode. Then when she does wake her up - I need to keep Anna settled enough to nurse Em and get her back to sleep without Anna getting off the bed to run through the house. By 5am I'm in tears. From the events of the weekend with the stomach cramping and fever, I'm already not at my best... but to have zero sleep on top of that - and not even be able to really lay down to rest... I'm past exhausted.

Then it just gets worse. Julia comes in - all smiley and cheerful and announces that the sun is coming up so it's time to get up. Now I'm trying to explain that it's only 5:15 and we DO NOT get up before 8am. Under penalty of losing all TV/food/air until she's 30. Of course this isn't what she wants to hear... she wants breakfast and to start her day. I want to crawl under a rock... or the nearest mental health institution empty bed.

So - after another half an hour of fighting with three kids to sleep - I notice that one of them is dozing - the troublesome one!! Yeah - Anna is finally asleep. At 6am!! Then Emma Leigh falls asleep. Then - JULIA!

I quickly decide that now is not the time for contemplation and force myself into a coma.

Then - one by one - they all wake up. Julia first. The clock blares 830am. She is good to go grab a yogurt for breakfast and watch Playhouse Disney. Then Em wakes up for her medication. Then Anna rolls off the bed (yeah mommy and those super, lightning fast reflexes) but I catch her by a leg. So - now it's 925am and we're all awake.

This 3 kid thing wasn't such a great idea for sleep!

No comments: