Saturday, October 08, 2005

Happy Birthday Kurt! (m)

It is my cousin Kurt's 13th birthday - he's a teenager!! Keep in mind I haven't seen him (or my Aunt or Uncle!) for probably 10 years - so it's a shock that he's so big now!

This has been a crazy side effect of my parents accident. I've been able to rekindle relationships with several family members and a couple friends that I've lost touch with over the years. It amazes me how tragedies bring people together - even from across the country and through generations. Being able to talk to my Aunt Pam (who I know reads this - so HI Pammy!!!) after all these years of NOT - is wonderful. Dan and I both have sought out a community - an extended family of sorts - for years. We both feel a need to be "connected" to others out in the world. My Aunt and I are actually closer in age than she and my mom are (I think that's true--- isn't it??) and growing up she was a big part of my life. After she got married and you know had big people things to attend to (like a job, then a baby! ;) we saw less and less of her (my parents reluctance to do a lot of traveling didn't help either!)... but it's funny - the more time that passes - I still feel the same kind of closeness - although I appreciate her - and all the crap she took from me as a kid more. Tonight she called me while we were out shopping - and even hearing her voice it was like we've talked everyday for my entire life. I hope we don't let so much time pass again.

So - Hi Pam! I love you... and Happy, Happy Birthday Kurt!

No comments: