Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Field Trip

One of the issues with having multiple kids and not a babysitter in sight - is that I am not exactly the kind of Kindergarten mom I thought I'd be.

I was sure I'd be the one at all the field trips as a chaperone, volunteering my time in the class, and just a general pain in the ba-took-us. Not happening, I don't even know if she really goes to school! She gets on the bus in the morning and comes home in the afternoon.

Weird. I never thought my kid would ride the bus, but necessity is everything. Without a second car it's just too much of a pain to drop Dan off and and pick him up everyday - not to mention he needs the car during the day.

Today Julia has her first field trip ever - and it took every ounce of my strength to put that field trip volunteer form back in her bag blank.

I know without a doubt that my lack of involvement doesn't affect Julia, and only 3 mom's out of a class of 18 are going - so 15 other kids don't have their moms along either. It's hard to fight that tiny little bit of guilt from creeping in. I know we make it to what we can, and when it's important I hope that we'll be able to make it work.

Julia invited me to her Special Person's lunch on Thursday. Each child can invite one person to have lunch with them, and she chose me. :) I admit I was a little, tiny bit nervous she'd ask Dan. I would have been fine if she did - but I'm glad I get to go. Dan is going to come home for lunch and hang out with Anna and Em while I go.

Oh - and you know I'll be waiting anxiously at the bus stop to see her pumpkin!

UPDATE: She had a great time and came back with a cute little pumpkin. She had an apple off the tree (washed of course) for her snack and saw how they make popcorn from corn.

No comments: