Thursday, October 26, 2006

Limbaugh can bite me...

Today is just one of those days... I'm in a mood and on a roll. I'm tired of so many things I am seeing around me - and today I've been vocal about it.

You have probably heard about Rush Limbaugh and his comments about Michael J. Fox. If not - then read about it here, and here...

Where do I begin? This pisses me off on so many different levels. Both of my grandparents had Parkinson's and died from complications of the disease. It is a terrible, horrible thing to watch your loved ones go through, and a difficult and horrifically embarrassing for the person going through it. You have good days and bad. You have good hours and bad, geez, you even have good minutes and bad minutes. You have to be some kind of a low human to call someone out on their disability.

Is he acting? Is he exaggerating? Who knows? It's always a possibility. What I can tell you is that Michael J. Fox is an amazing man who suffers from a terrible disease. He is using his celebrity to draw attention to a disease that can use the research dollars. He isn't just another celebrity frontman. He lives with this disease every single day. He knows what lies ahead for him in terms of the progression of the disease. It is hard to communicate, it can be embarrassing. Yet he's willing to go out there and stomp for what he believes in. Between Fox and Limbaugh - only one of them hasn't been publicly outed for being a hypocritical liar.

This brings me to my next rant: stem cell research. I understand this is a sticky, even deeply personal subject. The moral lines get fuzzy here. There are ways to use stem cells that do not involve disposed fetuses or embryo's (even though there is some debate on whether stem cells from bone marrow are as pliable). There is real potential in stem cell use in the treatment of so many diseases and in so many reparative ways. Decisions like this - especially the task of legislating them - are difficult. I believe that stem cell's are a necessary tool in fighting catastrophic diseases and injuries. I believe we need to find a way to clear a path for research.

My last rant: Celebrity campaigner's. Why are we so angry at celebrities campaigning and voicing their political/social views? I've mentioned this before - I'm sure, but I don't understand why so many have such contempt for other Americans vocalizing their opinions. Have we not been responsible for giving them such importance? I don't believe they are any more valuable than any other human - but really - the pedestal that they are on is one we put them on. I think our democracy is greater when those willing, are able to raise our voices, whatever our beliefs.

So - to wrap up... if you want to do something good and support Michael J. Fox and his efforts - don't spend as much time as I did on giving Limbaugh a voice and go to these sites and give of your time, thoughts or money...

American Parkinson's Disease Association

National Parkinson's Foundation

Michael J Fox Foundation

3 comments:

Veronica Burchard said...

Well said, Het!!

Dori (Aviva's mommy) said...

Great job HET!! I agree very well said. And I agree with you.

HUGS!

Anonymous said...

Ya'll got me straight trippin', Boo !!