Thursday, November 30, 2006

The kicks just keep on coming...

As if yesterday morning wasn't bad enough... the afternoon got worse and the evening - downright terrifying.

So... do I have your attention yet?

Yesterday afternoon I went to my appointment and on the way home I stopped to get gas and run errands. I was getting really cold - cold enough to put on gloves. Keep in mind it was drizzling - but 50 degrees. I've worn a t-shirt and shorts in 50 degree weather before.

When we got home I couldn't get warm. The thermostat said 70 degrees, so I know it wasn't too cold. I put socks on (gasp! she who never wears socks wore socks!!) and covered up with a blanket.

Then the shakes started.

Oh no. That only means one thing for me. fever. OH NO - momma can not get sick. I have a sick baby and a kid that is starting to get sick and momma can NOT get sick.

After an hour I took my temperature and it was 103. Great. Julia came home from school and being such a sweet girl she put the footstool out on my recliner and brought me cold water from the porch. Isn't that sweet???

A half an hour later Dan calls and I take my temp again. 104.5.

I am supposed to go pick him up from work but tell him he needs to start looking for another ride. He says he'll ask around and call me back. He calls me back and says he hadn't found anything yet. I tell to call me back in 10 minutes if he finds one -but that I have to leave to get him if he doesn't call.

So - I don't hear from him. I bundle up the kids and get everyone loaded up. I'm certainly not feeling well and under any other circumstances would not ever drive - especially with my kids in the car - when I'm feeling like that. I don't like to drive in the dark as it is - but with a terrible headache and high fever.. ugh. I was fine until about 2 blocks from Dan's work. Then I started to feel really dizzy and sick. I couldn't find a parking space, but was so disoriented and tired I just parked in the loading zone in front of his work. It took the SOB half an hour to come out. My cell phone had died so I couldn't call him. I was starting to get scared because I was having a hard time remaining lucid. I told Julia to stay buckled up no matter what until Dan came out.

I don't remember him coming out and I don't remember the drive home. I do remember getting home because Dan stepped on my foot and broke one of my nails off. geez.

Apparently my fever was around 104.9 and Dan forced Tylenol down my throat (which apparently we stopped at the store for on the way home) and was giving me 1/2 hour for it to come down before he was going to take me to the ER. It came down to 103. Julia was scared and kept telling me she didn't want me to die. Dan said he kept having to hold her and assure her I just had a fever and mommy gets crazy when she has a fever (I do - every time) and that I was definitely not going to die. Anna apparently sat next to me and held my hand and talked to me in a whisper.

It took two hours for it to break and when I was lucid - I was able to put two and two together, I had assumed I had a sinus infection because my head hurt so bad, but as the fever went away so did the headache. My one b*oob had hurt all day, which I had chalked up to Em being sick and not draining it properly, but at that point I couldn't even touch it without it being excruciating. Yep. Guess what. Mastitis. After nursing 3 kids - I get mastitis 8 1/2 months into nursing the last one! For those of you who don't know what it is - essentially it's a b*reast infection. You can also check this link (click here) for more info if you are here from doing a search on mastitis. Let's just say my b*reast is awfully purdy right now. Half of it is red and there are big long red streaks all over it. Nice.

So - I'm waiting for the doctor to return my call - and I'm just going to try and take it easy today. I suspect I also might have that sinus infection and possibly a UTI on top of it... think this is from sleep deprivation over the last week with a sick baby??? ahhhh.

Gotta love it.


Anonymous said...

Good Grief!!!! I'm definitely sending some feel better vibes your way!

Dori (Aviva's mommy) said...

Oh HET...I must have had sympathy pains for you. I started getting a fever in Epcot Tuesday back to the hotel was very week and my throat was killing me. I woke every half hour, had a headache, coughed if laying down and a cold. I sure hope you are feeling better. I feel a bit better now but still hard to eat.

I am sorry you went through something so scary.


Veronica said...

OMG! You poor thing. I was wondering partway into your description if it was mastitis. I had it when Aidan was 3mo and it was the sickest I've ever felt in my life. Also, like you - it looked like someone had taken a red marker to my breast. I hope you're feeling better very soon, sweetie.